Tea Poached Chicken
Tea poached chicken with roast root vegetables
Recipe by Megan Daniels (Food Editor and Stylist)
2 star anise, whole
1/3 cup (60g) brown sugar
4 Five Roses English Breakfast Tea bags
4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed
2 Tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
2 tsp (10ml) sesame oil
For the Roasted Vegetables:
6 small parsnips, peeled and sliced
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 beetroots, peeled and sliced into disks
¼ cup () extra virgin olive oil
1/3 Cup (60g) honey
4 whole thyme sprigs
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp (30ml) sherry vinegar
- In a deep pan on a medium heat, bring the water, star anise and half the sugar to the boil.
- Season the water before adding the tea bags.
- Set aside to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Discard the tea bags once the tea has infused sufficiently.
- Bring the tea mixture to the boil and reduce it to low.
- Add the chicken and simmer for 20 minutes, turning once.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts and set aside.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil to the poaching liquid and the remaining sugar and cook until the sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the chicken and pour the excess liquid over the chicken.
- Serve alongside the honey roasted vegetables.
- To make the honey roast vegetables, Preheat the oven to 180C
- Toss all of the vegetables with the olive oil and honey and season.
- Lay out the vegetables onto a baking tray in an even layer, cover with foil and roast for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the foil and toss before placing back into the oven (without the foil) for 10 minutes.
Transfer the roasted vegetables into a bowl with the vinegar and serve immediately.