Olive Pride Grilled Chunk Salad with Basil Dressing
Recipe By Zach Abrahams
- ¼ cup Olive Pride Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 heads Baby Gem Lettuce (washed and quartered)
- 350g Baby Marrow
- 250g Broccoli
- 300g Haloumi Cheese
- 100g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 60g Fresh Basil (stalks included)
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 Tbls Red Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbls White or Black Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbls Dijon/Wholegrain Mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Olive Pride Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Begin by bringing a saucepan of salted water to the boil with a bowl of ice water close at hand. Once the water is at a rolling boil, add half of the basil (stalks and all) for no longer than 5 secs, then immediately into the cold water. Repeat with the rest of the basil, shake off excess ice water and pat dry with paper towel. Keep boiling water and ice water close by to cook the broccoli.
- Add the blanched basil to a jug blender, along with the rest of the dressing ingredients. Blend until completely smooth and emulsified, for a thicker dressing add ¼ cup more Olive Pride Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Add the broccoli florets to the saucepan of boiling water for 1-2 mins and then just like the basil, add quickly to the ice water. This technique helps to preserve the nutrients and beautiful green colour of vegetables.
- Heat the griddle pan and slice the baby marrows into ribbons using your vegetable peeler. Dress the marrow strips and broccoli florets with Olive Pride extra Virgin Olive Oil, smoked chilli flakes and seasoning, add to the griddle pan and cook for 1-2 mins per side or until griddle lines are visible. Set aside to cool.
- Lightly brush the haloumi cheese and baby gem lettuce with Olive Pride Extra Virgin Olive Oil and seasoning. Sear quickly on the griddle, when griddle lines appear, remove from the heat.
- Assemble the gem lettuce first, then the grilled broccoli and marrows, top with the cherry tomatoes and haloumi, finally drizzle over the basil dressing. For an intimate Valentines day touch, serve this salad for two on a big flat ceramic party platter and garnish with micro herbs. Bae will love it!