Woolworths Roasted Butternut and Ricotta Christmas Wreath
Roasted Butternut and Ricotta Christmas Wreath
Recipe by Nikara Ramdial
For the Filling
- 1 butternut (+- 500g)
- A bunch of sage
- Olive oil
- Rough salt
- 200g baby spinach
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan
- Black pepper
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Peel the butternut and cut in half to remove the seeds.
3. Roughly chop the butternut into cubes and place in a baking tray.
4. Drizzle the butternut with olive oil and add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg and rough salt.
5. Add in the sage to the baking tray and bake until the butternut is soft and starting to get golden brown (+- 40min).
6. Roughly chop 150g of the spinach and cook in a pan with a tsp of olive oil until it wilts.
7. Allow the spinach to cool.
8. Mix together the cooked spinach, ricotta cheese, garlic powder, grated parmesan and black pepper.
For the Dough
- 1 roll of puff pastry (400g)
- 50g melted butter
- A handful of white sesame seeds
- A handful of grated parmesan
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- A bunch of rosemary
1. Roll out the puff pastry onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
2. Using a round bowl or plate, cut around it to create a perfect circle. Save the excess pastry for decoration.
3. Using a smaller bowl, create an inner circle by gently pressing on pastry. Ensure not to press all the way though.
4. Use a knife to divide the inner circle into 8 triangles.
5. Add the roasted butternut and ricotta cheese mixture to the outer circle of the wreath.
6. Pull the pointed part of the triangle and wrap it over the filling.
7. Using a cookie cutter and the leftover dough, create shapes to place on the wreath for decoration.
8. Once you have placed on your decorative pieces of pastry brush the melted butter on top of the dough and sprinkle sesame seeds and grated parmesan.
9. Bake at 180·C for approximately 20min or until the pastry is cooked and is golden in colour.
10. Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in a baking tray and roast with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and black pepper until the tomatoes collapse.
11. Once the wreath is done, garnish with the leftover baby spinach and roasted cherry tomatoes.
12. Place the rosemary sprigs around the wreath and serve.