Woolworths Rainbow cupcakes
(Image source: https://www.delish.com/)
Recipe by Carla Kleinsmit
Woolies vanilla cupcake mix x 2
4 large free range eggs
100ml water (room temp)
Food colouring of your choice (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red)
240g softened butter
Hundreds and thousands
Icing sugar mix
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Prepare 3 baking trays with non-stick kitchen spray.
- Lightly beat the 2 eggs, 60ml oil and 150ml milk together just until combined.
- In another mixing bowl, add the cupcake mix and make a well in the middle of the mixture. Add the milk mixture to the cupcake mixture and beat together until just combined. Add the water to that and mix briefly.
- Transfer the batter into three bowls, add the different food colourings to each bowl and mix until the batter is coloured through. Make sure not to add too much food colouring in the beginning, add it little by little until you are happy with the colour.
- Pour the batter into the different baking trays and let it bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when it’s inserted in the middle.
- Whilst baking the first batch, mix the second box with the other half of all the ingredients following the same recipe as above.
- Let all the baked cakes cool down completely. While baking the second batch, make the icing sugar for the cupcakes. Do so by mixing the icing mix (of both packets) together with the milk and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Take a cookie cutter, cut rounds out of the different coloured cakes, place the first cake at the bottom, to with some icing spread it evenly and layer with the second cake. Proceed to do so until all the colour cakes are added to the stack. Top it off with some icing at the top and decorate it with hundreds and thousands.
SMS the keyword “TREAT” to 33650 to get the recipe sent to your device. SMS’s cost R1.50 and free SMS’s do not apply.
Disclaimer: The recipe will only be available via SMS for 24 hours.