Woolworths Pilchard stew
(Image source: https://miragarvin.wordpress.com/)
Recipe by: Amanda Manyatshe
100g chopped onion
100g chopped green pepper
1 can Woolies canned tomatoes
100ml tomato paste
150g Rosa tomatoes halved
100g black olives pitted and halved
200g diced pumpkin
150g sliced baby marrow (coins)
150g sliced baby corn (coins)
30g chopped parsley
1 can pilchards
Garnish Feta and chopped parsley.
Serve with: Toasted, crunchy bread such as ciabatta slices
1. In a large pot, add the oil and then add the onions and fry until transparent. Add the green peppers and fry further for 2 minutes. Add diced pumpkin, baby marrow and corn. Stir and cook for a few more minutes.
2. Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste and stir.
3. Gradually add the water, olives, Rosa tomatoes and parsley.
4. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
5. Allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes or until pumpkin is soft. Add pilchards and stir through.
6. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to warm through pilchards and infuse their flavour.
7. Transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle with feta and chopped parsley. Serve with toasted bread.
SMS the keyword “EAT” to 33650 to get the recipe sent to your device. SMS’s cost R1.50 and free SMS’s do not apply.
Disclaimer: The recipe will only be available via SMS for 24 hours.