Woolworths Mushroom, olive and onion Tartlet
(Image source: https://hipfoodiemom.com/)
Mushroom, olive and onion Tartlet
Recipe by Carla Kleinsmit
Pastry (shortcrust pastry):
160g cake flour
Pinch of salt
1 free range egg yolk
10ml ice water
5ml lemon juice
1T Olive pride
300g Woolies shiitake mushrooms
½ cup milk
1 free range egg
½ cup cream
Baby onions, halved and roasted
60ml Woolies onion marmalade with mustard seeds
140g Woolies pitted kalamate and green olives
100g Feta,crumbled / 100g Mature cheddar grated
Fresh sprigs of thyme, finely chopped
For the pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, grease a tartlet casing with non-stick kitchen spray
- In a food processor, combine cake flour, salt and butter until the butter is well combined and the mixture becomes a breadcrumb texture.
- In another small bowl, mix the yolk, ice water and lemon juice – add to the flour mixture little at a time while pulsing – do this just until the mixture comes together in a firm dough.
- Cover the dough with clingwrap and place in the fridge to rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After resting, roll out the pastry between two sheets of baking paper until roughly 3 mm thick.
- Line the baking tin with the pastry and pinch off the excess pastry with your finger.
- Dock the pastry at the bottom and blind bake for about 15 min.
For the filling:
- In a pan, heat the oil and butter – add the sliced mushrooms and keep on heat until it’s just cooked.
- Stir in the cake flour and remove from the heat.
- Stir in the milk and place back on the heat, while you keep on stirring and cook the flour until it has thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and cream together. Add it to the mushrooms, season and let it cool down.
Assemble and bake:
- Line the baked and cooled pastry with onion marmalade
- Fill the pastry with the mushroom filling, adding the baby onions and olives in between.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and herbs and bake on 200˚C – 25 minutes for a big tartlet casing and 10 – 15 minutes for smaller casings.
SMS the keyword “EAT” to 33650 to get the recipe sent to your device. SMS’s cost R1.50 and free SMS’s do not apply.
Disclaimer: The recipe will only be available via SMS for 24 hours.