Woolworths Deboned stuffed chicken with spring veg
Deboned stuffed chicken with spring veg
Recipe by Zach Abrahams
Chicken and Stuffing
· 1x Whole Free Range Chicken
· 1x Ciabatta Loaf (cut into 3cm cubes)
· 50g Thyme
· 50g Sage
· 6x Golden Delicious Apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
· 2x Onions
· 50g Sliced almonds (toasted)
· 1 T Minced Garlic
· 1 Handful Flat leaf parsley (chopped)
· Begin by using a sharp knife to chop off chicken wings and legs, then using the tip of the blade, loosen the wishbone and then remove completely. Next, using kitchen scissors, cut on either side of the back bone until backbone can be removed completely and then carefully work the breast off of the ribcage, the 2 breasts should still be attached. (keep all Chicken off cuts for the sauce later.)
· For the stuffing, heat a heavy bottomed frying pan to med – high, add apples and a touch of cooking oil. Cook apples until well browned and then set aside.
· Add the chopped onion, garlic and a touch of olive pride, cook until slightly softened, add chopped thyme, sage and toasted almonds. Cook briefly, stirring constantly. Add fried apples, ciabatta cubes, parsley and seasoning.
· To fill the chicken, place skin side down and season. Liberally spoon in the stuffing mixture to the chicken breasts, bring the chicken breasts up around the stuffing and secure with a few lengths of string.
To cook, add the chicken, skin side down, to the medium heat pan (the same pan that you cooked the filling in). Turn over using tongs and sear the other side, place onto a roasting tray and cook for 15-20 mins or until cooked through the centre.
· 300g Carrots
· 300g Celery
· 300g Onions
· 2x Bay Leaves
· 10g Thyme
· 1 T Peppercorns
· 40g Flatleaf Parsley
· 100g Butter
· 200g Flour
· 200ml Fresh Cream
· 1.5L Water
· For the Chicken stock, first add carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley and chicken to a large pot, top up with water and place on the stove. Bring the stock up to a simmer and allow it cook for 1 hour.
· Strain the vegetables and chicken out of the liquid, keep the and shred any meat still left on the bones and use for making chicken mayo another time.
· Keep reducing the stock until it has reduced by half and very flavourful. While the stock is reducing, melt down the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and stir until a roux forms.
· Add 250ml of the hot stock to the roux, whisking constantly, add another 200ml of chicken stock and all the cream.
· Taste and season the sauce carefully.
· 500g Frozen Peas
· 500g Baby Marrow
· 150g Baby spinach
· 10g Mint
· 50g Feta Cheese
· 1 t Smoked Paprika
· Add Peas to a mixing bowl, cover with freshly boiled water and allow the peas to sit for 5mins. Drain in a colander and set aside.
· Split the baby marrows into lengthwise quarters, add to a griddle pan and cook until well grilled on all sides.
· Sprinkle the feta with the smoked paprika and finely slice the baby spinach.
· Add all ingredients to a serving dish dress with olive oil, seasoning.