Very Berry Trifle
Very Berry Trifle
For the sponge (this recipe yields enough sponge for 8-10 – leftovers can be frozen)
70g castor sugar
40g whole wheat flour
60g cake flour
5ml vanilla paste or extract
For the yoghurt jelly
250ml low fat yoghurt
2 gelatine leaves (Woolworths)
For the berries
50ml sherry (optional)
50g pistachio nuts, roasted and chopped
6 mint sprigs
10g toasted coconut flakes
First prepare the sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare a baking sheet – line it with baking paper and spray it with non-stick baking spray.
- Combine the eggs, vanilla and castor sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Attach the whisk to the mixer and whisk the eggs to a light and fluffy consistency – to ribbon stage.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and allow it to cool.
- Sift the cake flour and then gently fold both flours into the egg mixture.
- Fold the butter into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the tray and spread evenly with a palate knife.
- Bake the sponge for 10-20 minutes until golden and cooked.
- Allow to cool then cut into rounds that will fit into the serving glasses. (It should not be thicker than ½ cm)
- Blend 100g of the raspberries with about 20ml water to a sauce consistency and brush the puree generously over the sponge bases to soak them. If you are a traditionalist, you can add the sherry instead of water to soak the sponges.
While the sponge is cooling prepare the jelly:
- Place the gelatine leaves in cold water and allow to hydrate for about 10 minutes, then discard the water and keep the jellied gelatin.
- Meantime warm the yoghurt, sugar and vanilla, but don’t let it boil.
- Stir in the hydrated gelatine and let it melt.
- Prepare the trifle glasses – nicely polished to show off the layers.
- Spoon about 30-40ml of the yoghurt mixture in the bottom of the glasses and allow to set in the fridge.
- Keep the rest of the mixture aside.
Layering the trifles:
- With the first jelly layer in place, the next layer should be berries of your choice, but make sure that they are even to place the sponge on top.
- For the third layer place the sponge on top and spoon a tablespoon of the reserved yoghurt jelly in the middle (don’t let it run over the sides of the sponge).
- Finish the top layer with a decorative layer of the rest of the berries.
- Cover them gently with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving sprinkle the pistachio nuts over and garnish with mint and coconut flakes.