Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers
Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers with Spicy Sweet Chilli Sauce
Serves 3-4 people as a snack
Recipe by Megan Daniels - Wooloworths Food Editor and Stylist
For the Jalapeño Poppers:
1 Cup (250ml) plain cream cheese
1/2 Cup (125ml) cheddar cheese, grated
10 chives, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 jalapeño poppers
1 Cup (250ml) buttermilk
2 Tbsp (30ml) Tabasco sauce
1 tsp (5ml) garlic salt
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) cayenne pepper
2 Cups (500ml) breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
Spicy sweet chilli sauce:
3/4 Cup (180ml) Selati brown light brown sugar
1/2 Cup (125ml) rice vinegar
1/4 Cup (60ml) water
1 Tbsp (15ml) garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp (2.5ml) Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp (15ml) smoked Chilli flakes
1 Tbsp (15ml) cornstarch
1 Tbsp (15ml) water, to dissolve the cornstarch
1 tsp (5ml) fish sauce
1. Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and chives together in a bowl and season before setting aside.
2. Slice the popper on one side and spoon in the mixture.
3. Close the popper and make sure it is tightly secure
4. Prepare 2 mixing bowls, in the first place the buttermilk, Tabasco, garlic salt and cayenne pepper and set aside. In the second bowl place the breadcrumbs before setting aside.
5. Drench each popper into the buttermilk mixture before the breadcrumbs and repeat for a second time.
6. Heat the oil on medium heat, test the heat by sprinkling in some flour
7. Lightly fry until golden brown and serve with the delicious spicy sweet chilli sauce.
8. To make the spicy sweet chilli sauce; place the sugar in a medium sauce pan and add the vinegar and water and place on a medium heat.
9. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the garlic, Tabasco and chili flakes and allow to come to a simmer.
10. In the meantime; combine the cornstarch and water and mix until there are no lumps.
11. Add the slurry to the pot and mix until the sauce begins to thicken.
12. Add the fish sauce and turn the heat off.
13. Allow to cool completely before serving or storing in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
9. Serve the poppers warm alongside the sauce and enjoy!