For the bread
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely grated
3T red wine vinegar
2T mixed italian herb
1T rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Ciabatta loaf, torn into large chunks
For the salad
1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
4 baby marrows, cut thinly on the diagonal
200g rosa tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
Handful of basil leaves, torn
4T extra virgin olive oil
2t smoked chilli flakes
4T red wine vinegar
100g baby spinach
100g Feta, crumbled
Preheat your oven to 220C. In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, mixed herbs and rosemary. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add the bread and toss to combine and coat well in the dressing. Allow it to sit in the dressing for 5 minutes to absorb the flavors before adding to a roasting tray and placing in the oven. Allowing it to toast and char slightly. While the bread is toasting in the oven add the red pepper and baby marrow to a griddle pan this been heated over high heat. Allow the veggie to char without being coated in oil, this intensifies the smokey flavor.
Once well charred turn over and cook the other side in the same manner. Add the charred veggies to a large mixing bowl and begin squeezing the juice of the tomato out over the veggies then adding the squashed tomatoes to the mixing bowl .
Add the garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, chilli, red wine vinegar and season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Add the toasted bread to the mixing bowl and toss together with the baby spinach. Add to a serving bowl before crumbling over the feta and serving with extra basil torn over.
(image source: Robyn Mackenzie Stock photo ID: 74856862)
Fillet Steak Salad
- 1 whole fillet steak
- 1 endives or 250g chopped lettuce or rocket
- any white hard cheese
- cherry tomatoes
- thinly sliced red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 spoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 whole avocado
- half a cup olives
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- Butterfly fillet steak and make sure the slices are thick enough.
- Brush the steaks with vegetable oil and salt and pepper.
- Place them on a heavy hot pan or griddle.
- Cook each side for about 3 minutes.
- Take it off the stove and place it on a foil and let it rest.
- Cover each steak with rosemary and garlic cloves ,cut in half.
- Squeeze lemon over the steak and slice into strips.
- Layer all the above ingredients and squeeze lemon, olive oil and vinegar over the salad.
- Garnish with thinly shaved cheese and serve as starter or main course.