Crunchy Lentil Salad
Crunchy lentil salad
Recipe by: The Heart and Stroke Foundation
· 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked brown lentils
· ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
· 2 tsp (10 ml) dried origanum
· 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
· 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
· ½ tsp (2,5 ml) sugar
· black pepper to taste
· 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh chopped parsley
· 3 medium carrots, coarsely grated
· 2 tomatoes, halved and sliced
· 3 large spinach leaves, shredded
· 1 avocado (with lemon juice)
1. Place lentils, half the salt and half the origanum with 3 cups (750 ml) water in a pot. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until just cooked.
2. Drain lentils, rinse with cold water and drain well.
3. Meanwhile, make the salad dressing. Mix remaining salt and origanum with the oil, vinegar and sugar and season with pepper.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to the cold lentils and mix well. Add the dressing just before serving.
5. cut in cubes of avocado at the end.