Brent Lawrence shares important festive season road safety tips.
The holiday season is a time of relaxion, celebration and happiness but it can also be a time of great danger on the roads. Today we’re joined by Brett Lawrence to share some important road safety tips for the festive season.
Here are some handy festive season road safety tips:
- Obey the rules of the road and carry your driver’s license with you.
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and allow yourself enough time to reach the destination
- Make sure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before departure. All lights and indicators, windscreens, windscreen wipers, brakes, steering, shock absorbers, exhaust system and tyres should be carefully examined for faults.
- Do not overload.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Have a good rest before you embark on your journey
- Take safety breaks every 2 hours or 200km. Rest, have an energy drink and continue once well rested.
- Do not drink and drive
- Try to recognize potentially dangerous drivers on and pedestrians alongside the road and keep well clear of them
- Be visible – drive with your lights on
- Headlights should be dipped well before an approaching vehicle is within range of the main beam.
- Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
- Drive defensively
- Stay within the speed limit at all times
- Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so
- Maintain at least a 2 second following distance - this distance should be increased at night, in foggy or rainy conditions and when the road is wet.
- Expect others not to be as obedient to the law as yourself
- Avoid distractions on the road such as texting, conversations on cellular phones etc
- Be courteous towards fellow road users - keep your temper and resist the temptation to retaliate
- Know your emergency numbers - When you need assistance, kindly call the following numbers
Most people are drawn to water especially during the hot summer holidays. But water-related accidents, specifically among children happen so often and so quickly, that water safety education is vital to keep your children safe. Brent will also be running through some water safety tips.