Woolworths Thai yellow chicken curry
(Image source: https://www.thaigold.eu/)
Thai yellow chicken curry
Recipe By: Pumla Brook-Thomae
8 Chicken pieces (thighs & drumsticks skin on)
1 Extra-Large Onion chopped
3-4 Garlic Cloves crushed
1 tsp Tumeric powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder
6 Cardamom Pods bashed husked removed
6 Lime/Curry Leaves
1 tsp Fresh Ginger grated
2 stalks lemongrass, bashed
1 Tbs Fish Sauce
1/4 C Chicken Stock Liquid
1 Can Coconut Milk
Salt & Pepper
Pinch of Sugar
Half a lime
Coriander Leaves for garnish
1. In medium high heat on a large casserole brown the chicken skin side down first about 1 minute each side. Keep aside covered.
2. Reduce the heat to medium in the same oil saute for onion for 2 minutes then add garlic and turmeric, coriander, cinnamon and cardamon. Cook for a minute or so until fragrant.
3. Add back the chicken along with lime leaves, ginger, lemongrass, fish stock, stock liquid and coconut milk.
Simmer on medium heat carefully stirring every now and again with a spatula.
4. Once the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly season with salt and pepper keep in mind the fish sauce also adds the saltiness to the dish.
5. Lastly, add a pinch of sugar & a squeeze of lime juice to round off the flavours of the curry.
Serve with jasmine rice garnished with fresh coriander leaves.